Monday, November 7, 2011

Offroading.

The next few days were spent "offroading" on what were technically roads...but were definitely only for 4x4s. One of my regrets from our last trip to Iceland was the fact that we didn't make it to Stong. But we did this time! And we went round the long way. In order to get here, you have to drive through a desert-like stretch of landscape. Affording one the opportunity to take self-portraits.

iceland2011

But as you progress through the valley, the land starts to turn lush and green.

iceland2011

This is one of my favourite pictures from the entire trip. He was looking at a river, trying to figure out if we'd be able to ford it in our 4x4. He had no idea that I was even taking the shot. I'm sure that I could photoshop it to make it even more dramatic, but ... I like it the way that it is. In a lot of ways, this is how I see my lovely husband. Strong, wise, brave and larger than life. Even after ten years of marriage, he still makes my heart skip a beat when he enters a room. Admittedly, sometimes he sneaks up behind me just to see me jump (I'm ... easily startled) but you know what I mean.

Anyway.

We made it to Stong, and it was a little overwhelming to be standing inside the ruins of the longhouse. Even more than the reconstructed longhouse (which you'll see next time), it was very easy to imagine what it was like in a Viking era home.

eurotrip2011

Doesn't look like much, I know. But it was ... tangible. Hard to explain, you'll just have to go here yourself. The view of the valley from the front door is quite magnificent, as well. But we turned our backs on the valley and instead went in search of a place that I've been dreaming about for years. The valley Gjáin.

iceland2011

This valley is tucked away in a large crevasse. It's possible to just drive right past it if you're not looking for the (miniscule) signposts pointing the way. When you get to the parking area, you have to climb down a huge set of rough-hewn stairs to the valley floor. But it's so worth it.

iceland2011

Looking out of the valley, towards Stong.

iceland2011

Crazy lava formations, with moss and waterfalls all mixed up.

iceland2011

See what I mean?

And at the other end of the valley, there's a series of boards to walk across...

iceland2011

and they take you to one of my favourite waterfalls in the whole world.

iceland2011

As we were climbing the stairs to leave, I turned around and blew a kiss to the valley. I have a feeling I'll be back.

No comments: