Saturday, July 10, 2010

Vikings!

The next day was filled with Vikings, both real and make-believe. We started the day by visiting the National Museum. Located across from the university, it's a very pretty building. It's not a big museum, but it's filled with all sorts of interesting things.

Like ancient spindles.


Sock blockers! And the mittens are really cool too - they have thumbs on both sides so that they're reversible, thus wearable on both hands. Myself, I think I prefer a side gusset...but it's kinda nifty to see the evolution of the humble mitten.


There were the most beautiful weapons, the Eyarland statue, and carved drinking horns galore.


But as fascinating as the artifacts were, the kids (and husband) liked the Hands-on room the best. They were given the opportunity to dress up like a Viking, reconstruct a burial site, or figure out which rune to use to make a maiden fall in love.



The entire trip through the museum took about three hours, and we really took our time in there. So, finding ourselves at a loss, we decided to take a trip down to Hafnarfjordur. Found the local swimming pool, luxuriated there for a few hours, and then went to the Viking Festival at the Viking Hotel.


This place was an absolutely delicious tourist-trap. And the festival was essentially an alleyway lined with stalls, and crawling with people in full Viking regalia. I didn't take many pictures of people (I don't really like to - it seems a bit rude to take photos without permission), but I did get one of the blacksmith.


I wish I had taken a pic of the seven whole lambs roasting over a fire. (As part of the admission fee, you got as much lamb and beer you could drink.) The whole thing was pretty damn cool, and we did a little bit of souvenir shopping while there. Mr. Ninja picked up a silver pendant of Thor's Hammer, Mr. Munchkin chose a sword and shield (which you'll undoubtedly see in later pics), Miss E got a cute bird toy that whistles, and me? My souvenir came in the form of yarn.


Yup, I finally succumbed to the siren call of the Lopi. I have no idea what the label says, but I think it's about a DK weight, and there's a LOT of it in one skein. No idea what I'm going to do with it yet. Oh, and I also picked up my first shawl pins. Pics next time though, as I'm going to have to find them first.

1 comment:

Steph VW said...

Love the little Viking.