Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I was *this* close...

I had the last hat cast on, and somehow didn't quite get around to finishing it before November hit like a Mack truck. But I'm consoling myself with the idea that I'll have something to work on during any downtime I get from NaNoWriMo.

Speaking of which, it's going really well. After a bumpy start (and some serious miscommunication between the Mister and myself about exactly how involved I was going to be with this), I'm starting to settle into a routine. The kids are in bed and asleep by 9, generally. So, once I get myself ready (teapot full, iPod plugged in, Halloween chocolate at hand and fingerless mitts on), it's about 9:30. If I write solidly until midnight, I seem to be able to crank out about 2K worth of words in a night.

So, life continues as usual, except that instead of knitting/gaming/web surfing, I'm writing at night. To be perfectly honest, this process has been much more exhilarating than I could have imagined it to be. I'm not a dirty drafter by nature, but forcing myself to just. get. it. out. has been liberating. I certainly wouldn't say that the story is writing itself. I'm gaining characters at a breakneck speed, and am only FINALLY getting around to the original arc of the story that I intended to write. Everything so far has just been a plot device to get the characters I wanted to write about to the place where I wanted them to be. Mind you, it's a very wordy and bloody plot device...

Seriously, I don't know if I'm repressing something weird but this is easily one of the most violent stories that I've ever written. And I'm not even into the second chapter. I even have sections that aren't completed yet, as I'm having difficulty visualizing them. All it says is "BATTLE SCENE". I'm more of a linear writer - the story unfolds as it wants, so this skipping around from here to there is all new to me. Not sure that I like it, but it sure as hell is easier than scrubbing my way through a difficult section just to get it over and done with.

Wish me luck, I seem to be doing ok. Word count as of last night = 5356.

No comments: