Saturday, January 22, 2011

Procrastination Station.

I've been slacking. I can't remember the last time that my house was really cleaned. My novel is ... stuck on a nasty plot point. And instead of working on it, I've been crafting.

Craft Hope's new project is making safe birthing kits for Haiti - Konbit Sante distributes these to trained birth attendants in an effort to stem Haiti's awful maternal and infant mortality rates.

The kits aren't complex - basic hygiene (soap, antibacterial gel, alcohol wipes, clean string, latex gloves and plastic sheeting) is addressed, and the handmade components are a tote bag, toy and a receiving blanket.

KonbitSante

The receiving blanket is just a 45 inch square of cotton flannel, serged with a rolled edge. The toy was based on this tutorial (love her site), and the tote was pretty much improvised. It's made from a canvas dropcloth and lined with quilter's cotton. It's a nice, sturdy little bag. I think that I may make a few more of these, but larger, for grocery bags.

I'm also finishing up all of my items for the Moderator's Swap over at the Odd Ducks. The large component of this package is a Damson shawl.

Damson

The colour's truer in this pic.

Damson2

I'll post a pic of the full package after my partner's received it. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

Spun up two skeins of Uberwench fibre as well.

modswapspin

FUN crazy batt = yarn that looks like unicorn farts. Love it.

Finished up a pair of socks for myself. Nothing like self-striping yarn in a 3x1 rib to make one feel tremendously clever.

WSocks2.0

And finally, there are going out to a very special friend.

octoberleaves

October Leaves Fingerless Gloves knit in Sweet Georgia sock yarn.

Phew.

And now? I think I'll knit myself some more socks.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Just stopping by via the Craft Hope blog and admiring your handiwork! :o) Great job on all of your projects!