Thursday, September 24, 2009

Righty-o, book reports!

I've been delayed on this post - zip.ca has really stepped their game as of late, and we've actually been getting DVDs that we want to watch. Mind boggling, I know. And on we go...

The Other Boleyn Girl
Now, while I love me some historical fiction...this book was utter pap. I mean, sure there was a sprinkling of politicking and rollicking sex. But really? The characterisations of the real historical figures involved made me want to grind my teeth. I'm sure that it makes a good read, if you're mildly interested in Tudor era England. But for anyone not looking for a mindlessly diverting book for the beach, do stay away.

The Tenth Gift
This was a very ... odd book. Very cool, as it taught me that Barbary Corsairs raided the coast of England for slaves and to further their jihad. (Pirates! Who doesn't find those bastards fascinating?) The depictions of Morocco (both old and new) were intoxicating. Not to mention the fact that the use of embroidery as a constant motif throughout the book made me want to pull out my needles and threads. But all of this wonderfulness may be the reason why I felt so betrayed at the end of the book. Amazing beginning and middle...and a slap in the face at the end of the book. It's as if the writer realized that she didn't really know how to wrap up the story, and slapped a "conclusion" on the back of the manuscript. Finishing this book gave me a vaguely unsatisfied feeling by the end. Sort of like eating three eclairs and realizing that you really wanted a good steak.

The Zombie Survival Guide
Ok. I admit that I may be a little paranoid. But DUDE. If the zombie war comes...I am so going to have my titanium crowbar ready for action. This book written in a totally serious tone, which makes it even funnier. Every element of a zombie outbreak has been carefully considered, from the use of swords (take note: blades never run out of ammo) to the use of boats (don't do it - zombies apparently survive underwater). Very light reading, and awesome for feeding those late night "what if..." conversations.

The Alphabet Versus the Goddess
Written by a neurosurgeon (!), this book makes me happy because it's all about language and how it is at the root of cultural shifts. After years of having my English degree mocked (especially when I've just been trounced at Scrabble), it is *so* nice to read about how someone thinks that semiotics can change humanity. The notion that the shift from the visual to the abstract ways of processing information (i.e. pictograms to alphabet) has fundamentally changed the way that the brain processes information is awesome stuff for a geek like me.

The Sandman series
The first time that I read these comics/graphic novels was waaay back in high school. My then boyfriend introduced me to Neil Gaiman and the Incarnations, and it was probably the main reason that I think of him in a fondly manner. (No, not fondle-ly manner.) If you haven't read these yet, please do. They will seriously mess with your mind, in a good way. Last month, I was in Quantum Frontier looking at board games with the family (the current craze here is for Memoir 44) and the store had the whole Sandman series on the shelf. Total impromptu move, I pulled them off and bought the whole lot. Food for the soul.

I have more to write, but need to go and feed small people before they start to go feral. Oh wait. Judging from the condition of my bathrooms, that may have happened already. Ok then, off to retame the Wild Things before they start eyeing the cat in an unsavoury manner.

3 comments:

Marti said...

Great post. I'm always on the hunt for stuff to read, even though the time and the desire to use it for reading have evaporated from my life at the moment. Does 'it's the thought that counts' apply here? Anyway, might need to check out that Alphabet one.

La Cabeza Grande said...

Must check out "The Alphabet!" Didn't know you were into language, culture and history. Rawk!

Now, go rescue the cat.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

I like the reviews. Thanks. Never did get even a quarter way through the Other Boleyn Girl, too boring, but I love Neil Gaiman's writing. Did you know he won an award for the Graveyard Book? I just borrowed it from the library and can't wait to read it.

Maybe you should train the cat in taming techniques.