Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Screw You Mother Nature...

For I have finally figured out how to dress for the shite NS weather that you have been tossing my way lately.

It's too cold to just go around in a short sleeve shirt. Yet it's too hot to pop a sweater on top of said shirt. And halfway through the day, it'll change from cool to warm, so wearing a long sleeve shirt isn't going to work either. So, what's my genius solution? Gauntlets. Too cold? Pop 'em on and over the forearms. Too warm? Take them off!

And the best part? I get to wear my dragonscale gauntlets. (Red and orangey silk.)


Love love love these. But just never really found a reason to wear them out of the house. I originally knit them to keep my hands warm while playing WoW, but since I'm not playing anymore, they've been hidden in my desk drawer. A total shame, yes?

And I've discovered a personal truth...I am definitely a seasonal crafter. Sewing in the summer, and knitting anytime else. At some point, the sewing became a mild obsession. In particular, I've been sewing bags. Here, look.


My first box bag! Currently in use as a sock project bag, I used the tutorial from Three Bears. I think for the next box bag (oh yes, there will be more), I'll definitely interface it. Not sure if I'll line it, though. I forsee much fiddling in my future.


Placemat bags! Best dollar store upcycle ever. Thanks to the tutorial from Obsessively Stitching, a new obsession has been born. I mean, it all started so innocently...I just needed a book bag for my son, as he wanted a special bag for his trips to the summer book club at the local library. And then his best friend saw it and wanted one too. And then I realised over the course of the summer that the totes were a brilliant size for knitting bags. And market bags! And beach totes! And so on and so on.

These were made entirely from stuff from the Dollarama - 2 placemats for the sides, denim patches for the internal library card pocket, and a dismantled dog leash for the handles. The webbing from the dog leash is perfect, as it's not too stiff and it is certainly tough enough to handle anything a 6 year old can dish out. You should see the looks that I get at the checkout line when I buy several leashes at a time.

The red bag in the middle is my favourite - and the best part is that the pattern is available in red, blue, green, and orange! So yesterday I went to the store and picked up two placemats in each colour.

...

It's a sickness, I tell you. I have no idea what I'm going to do with these bags. But I *want* one in each colour.

Oh well, at least I'll be happy in my padded cell.

Next post, I'll be reviewing my summer reading list. I found some books that I'll definitely have on my re-read list, as well as some too-awful-to-toss-into-a-bonfire books.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG. Will PAY CASH MONEY for those gauntlets. In sapphire blue.

I LOVE arm socks. Loves them, my precious..

Steph VW said...

I'm in lurve with the bags. I may have to make some for my SIL for Xmas.

Marti said...

Yes, love the bags also. Hmmm...methinks I see a trip to the dollar store in my future.

La Cabeza Grande said...

I want those gauntlets NOW! They're fab, don'tcha know.