Sunday, January 31, 2010

Can't ... stop ... writing ...

By crikey, when the muse hits...she lays smackdowns like a mack truck.

I've been trying to squeeze out the Pompeii story, but it's been tough. This is clearly a tale that needs to be coaxed out. I'm just having trouble getting into the vibe of the story. But lately, I've been distracting myself and doing some research on a possible travel destination. (I NEED to get out. Somewhere. Anywhere but here.) And while reading about it, I found out that one of the towns apparently boasts that it has the highest concentration of "hidden people" anywhere. Elves. Faery. Dwarves, Trolls, Pixies! Now, that's on my list of *must-see* destinations, even if it is as touristy and cheesy as I think it will end up being.

Mix that knowledge with an hour of rocking Miss E to sleep in a quiet, dark room...and you have the makings of a new story. It's not that I'm not trying to work on Pompeii - it's more like writing this new tale is a total compulsion. I've been sitting here writing for two hours and I already have a little over a thousand words. I know that's not a lot for some writers, but for me - that's a metric assload of writing.

I'm a little reluctant to share what I have so far, 'cause it doesn't do a very good job of showing what the story is all about (and it's DAMN cool - at least the version in my head is), but I daresay that it's a nice introduction. I suppose the new story fits under the category of fantasy or magic realism. Definitely in the vein of Charles De Lint. Cheesy and overpopulated as a category, but it makes me happy to write. And that's important, yes? I'll post some of it later, once I start getting into the good bits.

1 comment:

Steph VW said...

I'm so happy that you've found your voice, er, pen, uh, keyboard? Yes, your keyboard.

I totally get the compulsion to write. My fingers itch every once in a while. My writing goes into journals and on my blog. But in university, I did some naval gazing writing whenever I was hanging out on my own, and while it's not in the same vein as your writing, I think understand where it's coming from. :) Can't wait to read it when you're ready to share.