Friday, April 15, 2011

Dye Another Day.

Ok, let's recap.

To Do List as stated at the beginning of the month:

Jedi robe - done!
4 viking costumes
24 20 cloth diapers in small, 48 in medium and 48 in large
1 pair of man sized socks - done!
3 summer dresses for the girl - done!
2 pairs of shorts for the boy - done!
1 Travelling Woman shawl for me
1 Goodale sweater for me
2 summer dresses - one maxi and one knee length - for me

+

my package for the Ninja Swap that I'm currently modding.

---

So, I've ordered the pattern for Crepe, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in my mailbox next week. That'll take care of the knee-length dress for myself.

The diapers are on hold for a bit, as I'm waiting for my Partner in Crime, Cate, to cut the pieces for me to sew.

Fabric's arrived for the Viking outfits, and it's in the process of being washed. I think that I'm doing to do a series of posts just for that project, as I'm betting that it'll be a fairly involved process.

Travelling Woman shawl is coming along nicely. What a nice and brainless project. Exactly what I need right about now. Terrific yarn (Madtosh Sock), easy pattern to follow = awesome shawl.

Which brings us to the ninja swap package. I spent all of yesterday experimenting with the dye pot. I was searching for the perfect colours. I wanted one skein to be soft orange and glowing yellows.


Eureka.

However, the red was not nearly as successful. After the inital bath, it was too pink. So into the bath again.

Too dark.

Boo. And that was the last of the merino/silk blend, so I restarted with some merino superwash.

Replicated the yellow/orange.


I'm going to call this colourway "Midas Touch". Love the result. And as for the red...


Bingo. I'm calling this one "Perfect Red". It's a mixture of several different reds, and it was just a matter of proportions when making the slurry.

And these are going to be made into a Skinny Skid. After Travelling Woman's cast off, of course. The timing was fortuitious...a packet of naked Skinny Bugga arrived yesterday, and I can't wait to dye some of it in Perfect Red.

No comments: