Friday, April 8, 2011

Return of the snubbles.

Did I tell you guys about the genius of this particular word? Y'know when little kids have a cold and then they sneeze...and it comes out in a bubble? (Yes, gross. I know.) Anyway, DH came up with the term "snubble" to help lessen the grossness by cutifying it.

Miss E has them. Oh yes, she has snubbles once again. Which means that I am crafting like a madwoman in an effort to keep my sanity. And to reduce my (self-imposed) workload. To that end, I present:


One Jedi robe. For a very lucky boy who will be receiving this at his birthday party this weekend. Improvised pattern. I sense that there will be another one of these in my future, so perhaps a tutorial is in the making there.


FIL socks. Totally fraternal, and I don't give a flying crap. Trekking XXL and the usual top down, short row heel recipe.


Another wee dress. Please excuse the clashing purple shirt, as it's still darn cold here. This dress started life as a possible maxi dress for me. But I forgot that when shirring fabric for a dress, one needs to make sure that there is PLENTY of excess fabric. Otherwise the shirring stretches tight and looks awful. Ahem. Also, note to self - your boobs are big. Deal with it.

So, I cropped the bodice short and added a wee skirt and a tieback. Voila, one small girl dress off the list.

I'm going to cheat a little and for the next wee dress, I'll be using three bandanas and Martha Stewart's halter dress tutorial. For the boy, I'm hoping to be able to make more Bandana pants - a perpetual favourite of the boy in summer weather.

The thing about crafting is that it puts my brain on auto-pilot. Which is good. It means that I actually have a chance to mentally roam once in awhile. And what I was thinking about yesterday while sewing was this article about Carole Middleton and how she's being criticized for not dressing her age.

As I was sewing a summery, lightweight and frankly, fun dress intended for myself...I paused and looked down at it.

I'm not as young as I used to be, of course. And I could stand to lose weight. But really? I like dressing in a feminine and stylish way. Doesn't mean that I don't have days that I slob around in yoga pants and t-shirts. But as of late, my favourite thing to wear has been a mid thigh length tunic, dark leggings and awesome calf-high biker boots with big buckles. (I call them my Resident Evil boots. In the event of a world wide apocalypse, not only do they look good, but they can also hold two daggers strapped to either boot.) This kind of outfit has earned me more than a few disapproving glances. And I can only imagine what the reaction will be once I start wearing funky dresses once the weather warms up.

What I'm trying to get at is ... what the hell does "dressing your age" mean? Just because I am in my mid-thirties, does that mean that I'm condemned to wear mom jeans and unflattering blouses? I sure as hell don't shop at Sears, but it seems that I'm supposed to be buying my "middle-aged doyenne" uniform there. Judging from the fashion magazines that I glance at while at the check-out, women my age need to have massive amounts of plastic surgery (what the hell is a mommy makeover?!!?), pile on the make-up, and either sport a mumu or squeeze into mini skirts/tube tops.

I think that Carole Middleton looks lovely. Honestly. This world baffles me.

In the end, I'm going to stick with the immortal words of Bender and the world can just bite my shiny metal ass. I'll wear what I want, and the haters gonna hate, yeah? Apologies for the rambling...I think I need another coffee.

No comments: